Thursday 26 September 2013

Review: Raphael by D.B. Reynolds

Title: Raphael

Series: Vampires in America #1

Author: D.B. Reynolds




Malibu, California-home to rock-and-roll gods and movie stars, the beautiful, the rich . . . and vampires.


Powerful and charismatic, Raphael is a Vampire Lord, one of the few who hold the power of life and death over every vampire in existence. Thousands call him Master and have pledged absolute loyalty on their very lives. But when, in a brazen and deadly daylight attack, a gang of human killers kidnaps the one female vampire he'd give his life for, Raphael turns to a human investigator to find his enemies before it's too late.


Cynthia Leighton is smart, tough and sexy, a private investigator and former cop who's tired of spying on cheating spouses and digging out old bank accounts. When Raphael asks for her help in tracking down the kidnappers, Cyn's happy to accept. But she soon realizes her greatest danger comes not from the humans, but from Raphael himself.


Battling Russian mobsters and treacherous vampires, and betrayed by those they trusted, Cyn and Raphael find themselves fighting for their lives while caught up in a passion of blood and violence that is destined to destroy them both.





 Joint review with my friend Maru


Alina: Where should we start sexy?
Marulett: Mmm. Bad things?
Alina: :))
Maru: Or things we didn´t like?
Alina: How about with: What did you think about the book Maru?
Maru: I think it was good, but books 1 and 2 could totally be merged and be book 1. And I wanted more steam
Alina: :)) Good point
Maru: How about you?
Alina: I liked it, though both characters got on my nerves a little. Let’s talk only about 1 first. then 2.
Maru: Always getting ahead of myself... back to book 1 then. Yeah me too. I liked Raphael even though he was kind of a douche with Cyn.


Our Raphael

Alina: I thought the same thing! And I couldn't stop comparing him with my Raphael(from the Guild Hunter series). I think if I would have refrained from that I would have liked the whole book more.
Maru: Hahaha..yeah that happens
Alina: They lookd a like a little, and both of them have that irresistible aura of power, which I am a sucker for ;;). If you could choose 3 words to describe him what would those be?
Maru: MMM only 3? Sexy, sexy and sexy? LOL. Nah, just kidding. Sexy, ruthless and…
Alina: It's a great start LOL. I think I'd go with remorseless, powerful, hot.
Maru: Let´s add bloodthirsty?



Alina: Good one! He kind of killed everyone that got in his way so it works perfectly.
Maru: Exactly. What did you think of Cyn?
Alina: I liked her, she is smart and a little emotion-conscious(if I could say that :))). The only time when I wanted to smack her over the head was when she ran... after they had sex.
Maru: Me too! Totally agreed.
Alina: I know she regretted it afterwards, but too little too late.
What did you think of her way of finding trouble?
Maru: I wanted to smack some sense into her. I think that trouble would find her anyway, even if she didn´t try.


Our Cyn

Alina: Magnet :))
Maru: Exactly magnet for vamp trouble.
Alina: MMMhm. I liked the world building as well. It didn't have the information dump you can expect with 1st books in a series.
Maru: I think the information the author gave worked fine for the story and, of course, it left you wanting to know more.
Alina: It was a good UF. I liked the secondary characters as well, poor Duncan and the other bodyguards.
Maru: Yeah, me too. I hope we get a Duncan book fast
Alina: It's the 5th one. He'll make a good hero: strong with a head on his shoulders.
Maru: I saw that there´s a 5.5 book for Rapheal and Cyn. Can´t wait to get there
Alina: It will be interesting to see their relationship evolve. Now, I think we should finish with the ending.



Maru: Oh God the ending. I wanted to kill the author, thank goodness we had book two out.
Alina: Raphael did what only a man could do :)), even if he had over 500 years.
Maru: Yeah, you´re right. I just wanted them to end up together in book 1. I wanted the HEA right away.
Alina: Me too, though, in a way, it was the right decision. Both of them got to see how bad it would be otherwise. So, how much will you give it?
Maru: 4 stars. You?
Alina: That's what I thought as well. I had fun, doing the review this way. We should repeat performance :P :))
Maru: Me too. Let´s do this more often.

Rating: rating4

Older review

3 comments:

  1. LOL cute way to review ladies. I've seen this one and thought about it. Will have to give it a try sometime :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you :) We had great fun reviewing it.

    I didn't want to try it at first because of the cover, but I am glad I did! It's a great series.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hehe,interesting and cute review :)

    ReplyDelete