Monday 23 September 2013

Quote-Tastic(2): "Magic Bites" by Ilona Andrews



This meme is about sharing your favorite quotes and the books they come from!

It is Hosted by Anna at Herding Cats and Burning Soup.

This week I chose one of my favorite meetings between characters. Behold Kate and Curran meeting for the first time in Magic Bites[by Ilona Andrews]

 




My saber firmly in hand, I marched across the street and stepped through the opening. The darkness swallowed me whole.


The lingering musky scent of a cat hit me. So, not a bear after all.


Where was he? I scanned the building, peering into the gloom. Moonlight filtered through the gaps in the walls, creating a mirage of twilight and complete darkness. I knew he was watching me. Enjoying himself.


Diplomacy was never my strong suit and my patience had run dry. I crouched and called out, "Here, kitty, kitty, kitty."


Two golden eyes ignited at the opposite wall. A shape stirred within the darkness and rose, carrying the eyes up and up and up until they towered above me. A single enormous paw moved into the moonlight, disturbing the dust on the filthy floor. Wicked claws shot forth and withdrew. A massive shoulder followed, its gray fur marked by faint smoky stripes. The huge body shifted forward, coming at me, and I lost my balance and fell on my ass into the dirt. Dear God, this wasn't just a lion. This thing had to be at least five feet at the shoulder. And why was it striped?


The colossal cat circled me, half in the light, half in the shadow, the dark mane trembling as he moved. I scrambled to my feet and almost bumped into the gray muzzle. We looked at each other, the lion and I, our gazes level. Then I twisted around and began dusting off my jeans in a most undignified manner.


The lion vanished into a dark corner. A whisper of power pulsed through the room, tugging at my senses. If I did not know better, I would say that he had just changed.


"Kitty, kitty?" asked a level male voice.


I jumped. No shapechanger went from a beast into a human without a nap. Into a midform, yes, but beast-men had trouble talking.


"Yeah," I said. "You've caught me unprepared. Next time I'll bring cream and catnip toys."




8 comments:

  1. I love this scene. Have you read Curran's POV of it? AWESOME!

    ReplyDelete
  2. omg book love! I almost used one from later on in the series this week. So with you. Awesome first meet :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I did, though it was more then a year ago! I have to re-read it :))

    ReplyDelete
  4. Haha this was my fav. part in the book. Gotta love Kate and Curran. I have the first four books sitting on my shelf.

    Mine

    ReplyDelete
  5. Gasp! Does that mean you haven't read them?

    ReplyDelete
  6. So freak'n great perfect for these two's start. Pretty much sums up their whole relationship! Love this series. You just made me want to re-read them.lol

    new bloglovin follower

    -Amanda P


    Where the Night Kind Roam

    ReplyDelete
  7. I know! If you wanna do a buddy read tell me :D

    I follow you there as well

    ReplyDelete