Tuesday 15 October 2013

Review: Soulless by Gail Carriger

Title: Soulless


Series: Parasol Protectorate #1


Author: Gail Carriger



First, she has no soul. Second, she's a spinster whose father is both Italian and dead. Third, she was rudely attacked by a vampire, breaking all standards of social etiquette.


Where to go from there? From bad to worse apparently, for Alexia accidentally kills the vampire - and then the appalling Lord Maccon (loud, messy, gorgeous, and werewolf) is sent by Queen Victoria to investigate.


With unexpected vampires appearing and expected vampires disappearing, everyone seems to believe Alexia responsible. Can she figure out what is actually happening to London's high society? Will her soulless ability to negate supernatural powers prove useful or just plain embarrassing? Finally, who is the real enemy, and do they have treacle tart?






Main characters:
Alexia Tarabotti
Conal, Lord Maccon


Why I added the book:


I don't remember :)) But I'm glad that I did.


What I Liked:


The book has a great start: Miss Tarabotti is attacked by a vampire and kills him, all in a Duke's library. After that scene I expected a funny, action packed story, and it was, mostly. The plot is centered around the mystery of disappearing vampires and the appearance of new, uneducated ones that no one knows how they got in London.


Next I'd like to tell you all about the characters, they made this book amazing! We have Miss Tarabotti who is a half Italian spinster at the advanced age of 25. She's very smart, interested in science and loves to pick on Lord Maccon, she has a great sense of humor that leaps of the pages. Lord Maccon is the alpha of the London wolf pack and one of the greatest catches of society, even though he's a supernatural and a Scots; he's one of the people who get Alexia and her quirks, even though they fight a lot(after half the book we get that for them it's actually of form of foreplay :D). Professor Lyall is the beta of the London pack, and one of the calming people in this book, he has a great way of defusing tempers. My favorite character is Lord Akeldama who's a vampire over 400 years old, he has a wicked sense of humor, flamboyant way of dressing and great decorating tastes, he's also not what he seems...



Lord Maccon's office :))


All in all Ms. Carriger built a great world populated with fantastic characters that I can't wait to revisit.

What I didn't like: There were times where the narrative was a little boring, besides this I have no other complaints.



It looks a little like the narrative :D


Favorite scene: Their first kiss, it was so funny and sweet at the same time.




Favorite quote:

'My dearest girl,' said the vampire finally, examining Lord Maccon with an exhausted but appreciative eye, 'such a banquet. Never been one to favor werewolves myself, but he is very well equipped, now, is he not?'
Miss Tarabotti gave him an arch look. 'My goodies,' she warned.
'Humans,' chuckled the vampire, 'so possessive.'


Would I recommend the book:


Yes! It was funny, had an interesting plot and great characters. Actually, the characters won me over, if they weren't so quirky and unique I wouldn't have finished the book :D Another plus for the book was the sexual tension, it fairly leaped of the page! Miss Tarabotti and Lord Maccon were squabbling like 80% of the time and eying each other like starving people at the same time :))




Rating: rating45

5 comments:

  1. Christy @ Love of Books16 October 2013 at 09:57

    Good characters are so important to me. So I'm glad this book has good ones. I've been meaning to read this for awhile, but just haven't got around to it. Great review!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's interesting :D You should read it :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to read this series soon. I added it forever ago but have never gotten around to it. I've heard such good things about it though!

    P.S. I totally need the "The house was clean last week, sorry you missed it" welcome mat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I wouldn't have gotten to it if I didn't enter a TBR reading challenge :))
    I'd love one myself.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Vampires is not at all like in the movies or books. Sure, You can have the whole world open to you. You can be anything that you choose if you apply yourself and try hard to work toward that goal. But being a Vampire is not what it seems like. It’s a life full of good, and amazing things. We are as human as you are.. It’s not what you are that counts, But how you choose to be. Do you want a life full of interesting things? Do you want to have power and influence over others? To be charming and desirable? To have wealth, health, and longevity, I can help you solve any problem you are having
    (1) If you want your ex back.
    (2) If you want to stop having bad dreams.
    (3) You want to be promoted in your office.
    (4) You want women/men to run after you.
    (5) If you want a child.
    (6) You want to be rich.
    (7) You want to tie your husband/wife to be yours forever.
    (8) If you need financial assistance.
    (9) If you want to stop your divorce.
    (10 If you want to divorce your husband.
    (11) If you want your wishes to be granted.
    contact: Vampirelord7878@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete