Tuesday 2 February 2021

Review: Dare to Be a Duchess by Sapna Bhog


Title: Dare to Be a Duchess

Author: 

I have to start by saying that I didn't love the book, but I didn't hate it either... I just wasn't blown away. I requested it from Netgaley because it ad a pretty cover :D

I am a big fan of asshole heroes and I can usually explain away their mildly shitty behavior, but I had a really big problem with it this time. Wolf, the hero is, supposedly, a stick in the mud, virtuous dude, but he kisses the heroine in ch 3 or so and then he kind of insults her. They kiss again and again he acts like an idiot. They start spending time together and when he sees he's falling for her, he totally destroys her tenuous social standing and, to make everything better *insert heavy sarcasm*, he totally destroys her in private. After all this, the next day he decides he's in love with her and that he can't live without her and starts trying to apologize to her and make stuff better. This dude legit gave me whiplash!

The heroine, Lara, is pretty ok. She has a really hard time in the Ton because she's half Indian and the inbred assholes are mocking and not accepting her. She's different and she's not afraid to show it. She's skirting propriety and going with her 2 other friends to some parties that aren't that straight laced so to say... She's also a feminist with her 2 other friends, but that's been told not shown...

One of my pet peeves is stupid names and the author has named the hero Wolf and his 2 other friends Leo and Hawk and I totally hate it. Those are actually their nicknames, but they aren't called anything else for most of the book, so I rolled my eyes every time I saw it.

All in all, it wasn't bad, but I think I expected something else so i had a lower tolerance for it then usual.

Rating: 

No comments:

Post a Comment